Nov 1, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
There’s a Ray Charles song that says, “Hey if it wasn’t for bad luck y’all/Oh! I wouldn’t have no luck at all” and somewhere in Pittsburgh, Penguins centerman Jordan Staal is wondering if the song was written about him. Staal has been rehabbing from foot surgery in the off-season and his progress has been slow there.
Now that his foot is mostly healed and he’s been skating with the team lately and appeared ready to make his season debut this week, it appears those plans are going to have to go on hold for some time now as Staal was injured during practice this morning. The Penguins are calling it an “upper body injury” but TSN’s Bob McKenzie gives some insight as to what could be wrong via Twitter.
Awaiting official word from Penguins, but hearing Staal will be out six-plus weeks with what may be a broken bone in his hand.
That would make for a brutal turn of bad luck for Staal and the Penguins after the day started off with hope that both Staal and Zbynek Michalek would return from their injuries this week. With Staal likely to be out even longer now and with Evgeni Malkin banged up and Mike Comrie being ineffective, the Penguins forward unit looks rough.
The upside, of course, is if Staal can come back healthy in December it makes for one hell of a mid-season acquisition without even having to make a trade. Now if the Penguins can just get rid of the black cloud that’s following Jordan Staal around they’ll be in business.
UPDATE: Bob McKenzie gets confirmation from the Penguins. Staal has a broken hand and will be out for six weeks.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 23
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 38
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 64
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)