Nov 1, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
There’s a Ray Charles song that says, “Hey if it wasn’t for bad luck y’all/Oh! I wouldn’t have no luck at all” and somewhere in Pittsburgh, Penguins centerman Jordan Staal is wondering if the song was written about him. Staal has been rehabbing from foot surgery in the off-season and his progress has been slow there.
Now that his foot is mostly healed and he’s been skating with the team lately and appeared ready to make his season debut this week, it appears those plans are going to have to go on hold for some time now as Staal was injured during practice this morning. The Penguins are calling it an “upper body injury” but TSN’s Bob McKenzie gives some insight as to what could be wrong via Twitter.
Awaiting official word from Penguins, but hearing Staal will be out six-plus weeks with what may be a broken bone in his hand.
That would make for a brutal turn of bad luck for Staal and the Penguins after the day started off with hope that both Staal and Zbynek Michalek would return from their injuries this week. With Staal likely to be out even longer now and with Evgeni Malkin banged up and Mike Comrie being ineffective, the Penguins forward unit looks rough.
The upside, of course, is if Staal can come back healthy in December it makes for one hell of a mid-season acquisition without even having to make a trade. Now if the Penguins can just get rid of the black cloud that’s following Jordan Staal around they’ll be in business.
UPDATE: Bob McKenzie gets confirmation from the Penguins. Staal has a broken hand and will be out for six weeks.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)