Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins received a double-shot of sad news this morning, with their past, present and future taking a bit of a blow.
Most importantly, comes the present and future: the team already announced that defensive center Jordan Staal would miss all of training camp, but now the Penguins are saying that he will not be available for the beginning of the regular season either.
Penguins center Jordan Staal is expected to miss the start of the regular season following a procedure this week to cure an infection in his foot, the team announced today.
Staal’s recovery period is expected to be 5-6 weeks. The Penguins open the regular season Oct. 7 against Philadelphia.
In other words, Jordan Staal could be out until Halloween. Sounds like a pretty scary situation for the Penguins, but the team is spinning the situation as an opportunity for its younger players to earn more time on the ice before the lanky pivot returns from injury. They’re even reaching into the bag of Chinese proverbs to find some sunshine in a cloudy scenario.
If that news wasn’t enough to ruin the coffee breaks of many Penguins fans, news out of Pittsburgh is that a board voted unanimously to demolish the Civic Arena (aka The Igloo). Of course, the decision is being made to allow “Penguins-led redevelopments” but for nostalgic Penguins fans, this has to be a bit of a blow. Read more about it from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)