Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins received a double-shot of sad news this morning, with their past, present and future taking a bit of a blow.
Most importantly, comes the present and future: the team already announced that defensive center Jordan Staal would miss all of training camp, but now the Penguins are saying that he will not be available for the beginning of the regular season either.
Penguins center Jordan Staal is expected to miss the start of the regular season following a procedure this week to cure an infection in his foot, the team announced today.
Staal’s recovery period is expected to be 5-6 weeks. The Penguins open the regular season Oct. 7 against Philadelphia.
In other words, Jordan Staal could be out until Halloween. Sounds like a pretty scary situation for the Penguins, but the team is spinning the situation as an opportunity for its younger players to earn more time on the ice before the lanky pivot returns from injury. They’re even reaching into the bag of Chinese proverbs to find some sunshine in a cloudy scenario.
If that news wasn’t enough to ruin the coffee breaks of many Penguins fans, news out of Pittsburgh is that a board voted unanimously to demolish the Civic Arena (aka The Igloo). Of course, the decision is being made to allow “Penguins-led redevelopments” but for nostalgic Penguins fans, this has to be a bit of a blow. Read more about it from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)