Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins received a double-shot of sad news this morning, with their past, present and future taking a bit of a blow.
Most importantly, comes the present and future: the team already announced that defensive center Jordan Staal would miss all of training camp, but now the Penguins are saying that he will not be available for the beginning of the regular season either.
Penguins center Jordan Staal is expected to miss the start of the regular season following a procedure this week to cure an infection in his foot, the team announced today.
Staal’s recovery period is expected to be 5-6 weeks. The Penguins open the regular season Oct. 7 against Philadelphia.
In other words, Jordan Staal could be out until Halloween. Sounds like a pretty scary situation for the Penguins, but the team is spinning the situation as an opportunity for its younger players to earn more time on the ice before the lanky pivot returns from injury. They’re even reaching into the bag of Chinese proverbs to find some sunshine in a cloudy scenario.
If that news wasn’t enough to ruin the coffee breaks of many Penguins fans, news out of Pittsburgh is that a board voted unanimously to demolish the Civic Arena (aka The Igloo). Of course, the decision is being made to allow “Penguins-led redevelopments” but for nostalgic Penguins fans, this has to be a bit of a blow. Read more about it from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)