Oct 18, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan had himself a bit of a busy night drawing the ire of the Anaheim Ducks for a pair of hits on two different Duck players. While we’ve mentioned his hit on Ducks rookie Cam Fowler, Doan also had a hit on Ducks forward Dan Sexton that very well may earn him a call from the NHL according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. To see a video of the hit, please check it out here on YouTube.
With the NHL now taking a look at any and every shot to the head of a player during a game, Doan could very well be facing some discipline for this hit. In review, the hit is a bit late, to an unsuspecting opponent, and catches him up high around the head. That just about hits on every piece of evidence the NHL needs to hand down some form of punishment. Having it come from Doan, the team captain, makes it a bit more eyebrow-raising.
There were no fights stemming from either the hit on Sexton or Fowler and Ducks players were all saying the right things after the game, but you wonder if that’s because of the level of respect players have for Doan. After all, Doan’s been around the league for a while and doesn’t have a bad reputation at all. That lack of bad reputation could be what helps him stay off the league’s radar for discipline.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7