Oct 18, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan had himself a bit of a busy night drawing the ire of the Anaheim Ducks for a pair of hits on two different Duck players. While we’ve mentioned his hit on Ducks rookie Cam Fowler, Doan also had a hit on Ducks forward Dan Sexton that very well may earn him a call from the NHL according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. To see a video of the hit, please check it out here on YouTube.
With the NHL now taking a look at any and every shot to the head of a player during a game, Doan could very well be facing some discipline for this hit. In review, the hit is a bit late, to an unsuspecting opponent, and catches him up high around the head. That just about hits on every piece of evidence the NHL needs to hand down some form of punishment. Having it come from Doan, the team captain, makes it a bit more eyebrow-raising.
There were no fights stemming from either the hit on Sexton or Fowler and Ducks players were all saying the right things after the game, but you wonder if that’s because of the level of respect players have for Doan. After all, Doan’s been around the league for a while and doesn’t have a bad reputation at all. That lack of bad reputation could be what helps him stay off the league’s radar for discipline.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)