Oct 18, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan had himself a bit of a busy night drawing the ire of the Anaheim Ducks for a pair of hits on two different Duck players. While we’ve mentioned his hit on Ducks rookie Cam Fowler, Doan also had a hit on Ducks forward Dan Sexton that very well may earn him a call from the NHL according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. To see a video of the hit, please check it out here on YouTube.
With the NHL now taking a look at any and every shot to the head of a player during a game, Doan could very well be facing some discipline for this hit. In review, the hit is a bit late, to an unsuspecting opponent, and catches him up high around the head. That just about hits on every piece of evidence the NHL needs to hand down some form of punishment. Having it come from Doan, the team captain, makes it a bit more eyebrow-raising.
There were no fights stemming from either the hit on Sexton or Fowler and Ducks players were all saying the right things after the game, but you wonder if that’s because of the level of respect players have for Doan. After all, Doan’s been around the league for a while and doesn’t have a bad reputation at all. That lack of bad reputation could be what helps him stay off the league’s radar for discipline.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22