Oct 12, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Niklas Hjalmarsson reportedly participated in a hearing with the NHL via a 1pm ET conference call with NHL head of discipline/guy who decides on suspensions Colin Campbell, according to TSN.
While the hearing probably already took place, the league might not have a decision regarding a possible suspension until earlier today or perhaps even tomorrow. The NHL tends to take its time with these matters, especially if the offending party’s team isn’t playing back-to-back games (both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Buffalo Sabres have the night off).
Hjalmarsson seemed remorseful about the hit.
Hjalmarsson hit Pominville with 5:42 left in the first period. Pominville sustained a concussion and a gash above his eye that required 7-8 stitches. He was diagnosed in the building without going to a hospital.
“Everything happened so fast,” Hjalmarsson said after the game. “My intention wasn’t to hurt him. You never want to see someone laying on the ice like that.”
Whether he’s sorry or not, it still happened and he might have to face repercussions for the dangerous body check. We put up a reader poll to see if people think he deserves a suspension, and so far the majority of voters say “yes” with three or more games being the most popular answer. Feel free to vote in that poll and share your opinion on the situation in the comments.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)