Oct 12, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Niklas Hjalmarsson reportedly participated in a hearing with the NHL via a 1pm ET conference call with NHL head of discipline/guy who decides on suspensions Colin Campbell, according to TSN.
While the hearing probably already took place, the league might not have a decision regarding a possible suspension until earlier today or perhaps even tomorrow. The NHL tends to take its time with these matters, especially if the offending party’s team isn’t playing back-to-back games (both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Buffalo Sabres have the night off).
Hjalmarsson seemed remorseful about the hit.
Hjalmarsson hit Pominville with 5:42 left in the first period. Pominville sustained a concussion and a gash above his eye that required 7-8 stitches. He was diagnosed in the building without going to a hospital.
“Everything happened so fast,” Hjalmarsson said after the game. “My intention wasn’t to hurt him. You never want to see someone laying on the ice like that.”
Whether he’s sorry or not, it still happened and he might have to face repercussions for the dangerous body check. We put up a reader poll to see if people think he deserves a suspension, and so far the majority of voters say “yes” with three or more games being the most popular answer. Feel free to vote in that poll and share your opinion on the situation in the comments.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)