Oct 12, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Niklas Hjalmarsson reportedly participated in a hearing with the NHL via a 1pm ET conference call with NHL head of discipline/guy who decides on suspensions Colin Campbell, according to TSN.
While the hearing probably already took place, the league might not have a decision regarding a possible suspension until earlier today or perhaps even tomorrow. The NHL tends to take its time with these matters, especially if the offending party’s team isn’t playing back-to-back games (both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Buffalo Sabres have the night off).
Hjalmarsson seemed remorseful about the hit.
Hjalmarsson hit Pominville with 5:42 left in the first period. Pominville sustained a concussion and a gash above his eye that required 7-8 stitches. He was diagnosed in the building without going to a hospital.
“Everything happened so fast,” Hjalmarsson said after the game. “My intention wasn’t to hurt him. You never want to see someone laying on the ice like that.”
Whether he’s sorry or not, it still happened and he might have to face repercussions for the dangerous body check. We put up a reader poll to see if people think he deserves a suspension, and so far the majority of voters say “yes” with three or more games being the most popular answer. Feel free to vote in that poll and share your opinion on the situation in the comments.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)