Oct 12, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Niklas Hjalmarsson reportedly participated in a hearing with the NHL via a 1pm ET conference call with NHL head of discipline/guy who decides on suspensions Colin Campbell, according to TSN.
While the hearing probably already took place, the league might not have a decision regarding a possible suspension until earlier today or perhaps even tomorrow. The NHL tends to take its time with these matters, especially if the offending party’s team isn’t playing back-to-back games (both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Buffalo Sabres have the night off).
Hjalmarsson seemed remorseful about the hit.
Hjalmarsson hit Pominville with 5:42 left in the first period. Pominville sustained a concussion and a gash above his eye that required 7-8 stitches. He was diagnosed in the building without going to a hospital.
“Everything happened so fast,” Hjalmarsson said after the game. “My intention wasn’t to hurt him. You never want to see someone laying on the ice like that.”
Whether he’s sorry or not, it still happened and he might have to face repercussions for the dangerous body check. We put up a reader poll to see if people think he deserves a suspension, and so far the majority of voters say “yes” with three or more games being the most popular answer. Feel free to vote in that poll and share your opinion on the situation in the comments.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)