Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
Continuing an unfortunate trend in the 2014 playoffs, Ryan Garbutt speared Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry at 9:11 of the first period. Perry, who was nowhere near the puck as he had just come off the bench, fell to the ice.
Garbutt got five minutes and a game misconduct as punishment. Perry eventually returned to the contest. You can see the incident below:
That comes after Perry speared Jamie Benn earlier in the series and didn’t receive a fine or suspension for his actions. Incidentally, Benn scored a shorthanded goal during the Ducks’ five-minute power-play. Rickard Rakell responded for Anaheim 26 seconds later to give the Ducks a 2-1 lead.
Mike Richards also didn’t receive supplemental disciple for spearing San Jose’s Logan Couture on Sunday. Milan Lucic lost $5,000 against his $6 million annual salary for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser on Apr. 18.
We’ll see if Garbutt ends up getting punished beyond the five-minute major.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)