Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Continuing an unfortunate trend in the 2014 playoffs, Ryan Garbutt speared Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry at 9:11 of the first period. Perry, who was nowhere near the puck as he had just come off the bench, fell to the ice.
Garbutt got five minutes and a game misconduct as punishment. Perry eventually returned to the contest. You can see the incident below:
That comes after Perry speared Jamie Benn earlier in the series and didn’t receive a fine or suspension for his actions. Incidentally, Benn scored a shorthanded goal during the Ducks’ five-minute power-play. Rickard Rakell responded for Anaheim 26 seconds later to give the Ducks a 2-1 lead.
Mike Richards also didn’t receive supplemental disciple for spearing San Jose’s Logan Couture on Sunday. Milan Lucic lost $5,000 against his $6 million annual salary for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser on Apr. 18.
We’ll see if Garbutt ends up getting punished beyond the five-minute major.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)