Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Continuing an unfortunate trend in the 2014 playoffs, Ryan Garbutt speared Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry at 9:11 of the first period. Perry, who was nowhere near the puck as he had just come off the bench, fell to the ice.
Garbutt got five minutes and a game misconduct as punishment. Perry eventually returned to the contest. You can see the incident below:
That comes after Perry speared Jamie Benn earlier in the series and didn’t receive a fine or suspension for his actions. Incidentally, Benn scored a shorthanded goal during the Ducks’ five-minute power-play. Rickard Rakell responded for Anaheim 26 seconds later to give the Ducks a 2-1 lead.
Mike Richards also didn’t receive supplemental disciple for spearing San Jose’s Logan Couture on Sunday. Milan Lucic lost $5,000 against his $6 million annual salary for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser on Apr. 18.
We’ll see if Garbutt ends up getting punished beyond the five-minute major.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)