Apr 22, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
One thing to watch for in tonight’s Flyers-Rangers game? If the Blueshirts continue to get dinged for embellishment after being whistled for a pair of diving penalties in Sunday’s 4-2 loss at MSG.
“I didn’t agree with that call, but at the same time, it’s fast hockey out there and refs makes mistakes, like we do,” Zuccarello said, per ESPN New York. “There’s nothing to think about right now.
“I think everybody who watches me play knows I’m not a diver.”
Here’s the play:
That embellishment call was the first of two against the Rangers in the period. Less than three minutes after Zuccarello was penalized, Derek Dorsett was called for diving after getting cross-checked by Wayne Simmonds. According to the New York Times, it was just the second time since the NHL started calling diving penalties in 1992-93 that one team got whistled at least twice in the same game — the other occurred in Montreal’s opening-round series with Washington 2010, when Maxim Lapierre and Brian Gionta combined to get whistled for three diving penalties in Game 6.
Needless to say, the Rangers aren’t happy with how things transpired on Sunday, but head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t biting when asked what he thought of the calls.
“Did you see the replays?” Vigneault asked. “So, I’ll let you make the judgment on if Zuccarello’s was an embellishment. It doesn’t matter what I think.
“I’ll let you make the judgment and make the call on that.”
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)