Apr 22, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT
All it took was one lucky break for the Chicago Blackhawks. Or one mistake by the St. Louis Blues.
Jonathan Toews scored the winning goal early in the first period and the Blackhawks went on to earn a 2-0 victory over the Blues in Game 3 of that best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final on Monday. The Toews goal came off a wrist shot from the slot that, at first glance, appeared to go off the stick of St. Louis defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk and through the legs of goalie Ryan Miller.
Nope. Instead, the puck just went straight in. In a low-scoring game, it was exactly what the Blackhawks needed to help get back into this series. They still trail the Blues 2-1 in that aspect.
Miller, who made 23 saves on 24 shots, lamented the Toews goal afterward.
“It’s not a good goal … leave it at that,” said Miller, as per Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Meanwhile, the goalie at the other end, Corey Crawford recorded his third career Stanley Cup playoff shutout, making 34 saves.
“I thought it was a great response and tremendous effort by him,” said Blackhawks’ head coach Joel Quenneville, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 4
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (55)