Apr 22, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Awarded annually to “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” the Byng has been dominated by St. Louis recently, as he’s won three of the last four trophies and been a finalist in eight of the last 10 seasons.
This year, though, St. Louis should have some stiff competition.
Marleau played in all 82 games this year and averaged 20:31 TOI, yet racked up just 18 penalty minutes all season long. There was no drop-off in his offensive production, either, as Marleau scored 30 goals for the seventh time and finished second on the Sharks in scoring, with 70 points.
O’Reilly’s lack of penalty minutes was even more impressive. He was whistled for just one minor penalty all season, joining Butch Goring (1977-78, Los Angeles) as the only players ever to receive two or fewer PIM over 80 or more games. Like Marleau, O’Reilly also had a stellar offensive campaign, scoring a career-best 64 points while leading Colorado in goals, with 28.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)