Apr 22, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
How can the Flyers have such a good power play on the road (25.2 percent during the regular season), but when they get the man advantage at home they’re so ineffective (15.1 percent)?
Well, obviously, it’s their fans’ fault.
From CSN Philly:
Team captain Claude Giroux has said this many times about the power play, and he’s dead on: “The fans get on us pretty hard at home.”
“We have to be patient,” Giroux said. “We forget to stick with what we do. We’re a patient power play and we wait for opportunities. We can’t rush it. We need to go back and play our power play.”
Added coach Craig Berube: “When you are at home, there is more pressure to perform with fans and all. We’ve got to make sure we are being simple first of all and not forcing things.”
Just so everybody’s clear, the Flyers aren’t actually blaming their fans; Jakub Voracek made sure to clarify he was kidding after joking, “It’s a little harder when 19,000 people yell to shoot after 20 seconds on the power play.”
What they’re saying is they need to block out the noise. After all, there isn’t a team in the NHL that doesn’t get urged to shoot the puck on the power play when at home. The fans in Philadelphia are just a bit louder about it maybe.
The Flyers went 2-for-3 with the man advantage during Sunday’s 4-2 over the Rangers. On the road.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)