Apr 22, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne “underwent successful surgery to the core muscle of his left groin” today, according to New Jersey president/general manager Lou Lamoriello.
A rehabilitation period of eight to ten weeks is expected, though whether Fayne remains a member of the Devils is uncertain. The 26-year-old is an unrestricted free agent who had four goals and seven assists in 72 games this past season.
Fayne was a fifth-round draft pick of the Devils in 2005. A product of Providence College, his most recent contract paid him $2.6 million over two years.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)