Apr 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of numbers Jonathan Quick can’t be happy with through the first two games of L.A.’s opening-round series with the Sharks — his 7.20 GAA and .824 save percentage chief among them.
But there’s another stat he’s likely also displeased with: Two.
That’s the number of times San Jose tough guy Mike Brown has sent a Kings player colliding into Quick and, prior to tonight’s Game 3, Brown suggested those collisions weren’t by mistake.
For the second straight game, Brown shoved a Kings player into Jonathan Quick, this time sending Tyler Toffoli flying into the crease in the first period.
“That’s the way I have to play. I didn’t think he was next to the goalie,” Brown said of the play. “I think Quick just fell back. Nothing intentional. I obviously want to get in and kind of rattle him, but it was nothing intentional. Just playing the hockey game.”
Here’s the first incident, when Brown pushed Slava Voynov into Quick:
And here’s the second, the aforementioned Toffoli shove:
Couple things worth noting here: 1) Brown was penalized for the Voynov incident, but didn’t get anything for the Toffoli play.
2) Brown, along with fellow fourth-liners Raffi Torres and Andrew Desjardins, have been causing as much havoc offensively as they have with their physical play, combining for three goals and six points over the first two games.
3) The Kings insist that, despite the physicality and lopsided scores, they’re not being frustrated by the Sharks…yet.
“We all knew it was going to be a physical series. Chippiness, it’s part of it,” Anze Kopitar said.
He rejected a question as to whether San Jose had gotten under Los Angeles’ skin.
“I don’t think that’s the case,” he said.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)