Apr 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Curious development out of the Colorado camp today — the Avs recalled Joey Hishon, the 17th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, up from AHL Lake Erie and floated the possibility of him making his NHL debut in Game 4 against Minnesota.
Roy said he will evaluate Hishon at practice tomorrow to decide whether to put him in the lineup for Game 4 or not
— Adrian Dater (@adater) April 22, 2014
Hishon, a former OHL scoring sensation that scored 255 points in 214 games for Owen Sound, was taken ahead of the likes of Nick Bjugstad, Beau Bennett and Riley Sheahan at the ’10 draft, but had his career derailed during the 2011 Memorial Cup after suffering a severe concussion. He missed the entire 2011-12 season with post-concussion syndrome and took a long time getting back onto the ice, making his return with Lake Erie in March of 2013.
A second concussion suffered a month later threw a scare into both Hishon and the Avs organization, but he recovered in time to play 50 games for the Monsters this year, scoring 10 goals and 24 points.
Should he draw in for Game 4, Hishon would be making his big-league debut in a pressure-filled situation. The Avs have now gone 90-plus minutes without scoring on Minnesota goalie Darcy Kuemper and will be without offensive defenseman Tyson Barrie for the remainder of the series — he’ll be replaced by Ryan Wilson, Colorado announced on Tuesday.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 11
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)