Apr 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
The Red Wings’ oldest player will sit tonight as their opening-round series with Boston shifts to the Joe.
Alfredsson, 41, has struggled at times during this series, playing just 12:14 in the Game 1 victory over the B’s and 17:03 in Sunday’s 4-1 loss. The veteran Swede has no goals, no assists, no points and no shots on goal thus far, suggesting he’s far from 100 percent.
Andersson, 25, could provide a spark for a Detroit team that looked flat in the aforementioned Game 2 defeat. He was a solid contributor last postseason — five points in 14 games, playing over 13 minutes a night — and is coming off a regular season in which he posted a career-high eight goals and 17 points.
The rest of head coach Mike Babcock’s lines remain unchanged aside from Andersson’s insertion. Pavel Datsyuk will still man the top unit between Johan Franzen and Justin Abdelkader, while Riley Sheahan is the center on the No. 2 line between Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist. Drew Miller, David Legwand and Luke Glendening are on the fourth line.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)