Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Frustration appeared to get the better of L.A. Kings’ forward Mike Richards toward the end of Sunday’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Richards was assessed a double-minor for spearing Logan Couture behind the play with just over five minutes remaining in the third period of Game 2, which the host San Jose Sharks won decisively by a final score of 7-2, taking a 2-0 series lead.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown afterward. The final moments of this one could’ve gotten a whole lot uglier, although most of the mayhem ended when Richards was penalized for his spear on Couture.
But this isn’t the first such incident of this kind in these playoffs. Boston Bruins’ forward Milan Lucic speared Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser in Game 1 of that series. It earned Lucic a $5,000 fine.
So, given the previous case studies so far, will Richards be in line for further discipline such as a fine? Or will he get off with just a warning?
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)