Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Frustration appeared to get the better of L.A. Kings’ forward Mike Richards toward the end of Sunday’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Richards was assessed a double-minor for spearing Logan Couture behind the play with just over five minutes remaining in the third period of Game 2, which the host San Jose Sharks won decisively by a final score of 7-2, taking a 2-0 series lead.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown afterward. The final moments of this one could’ve gotten a whole lot uglier, although most of the mayhem ended when Richards was penalized for his spear on Couture.
But this isn’t the first such incident of this kind in these playoffs. Boston Bruins’ forward Milan Lucic speared Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser in Game 1 of that series. It earned Lucic a $5,000 fine.
So, given the previous case studies so far, will Richards be in line for further discipline such as a fine? Or will he get off with just a warning?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)