Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Frustration appeared to get the better of L.A. Kings’ forward Mike Richards toward the end of Sunday’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Richards was assessed a double-minor for spearing Logan Couture behind the play with just over five minutes remaining in the third period of Game 2, which the host San Jose Sharks won decisively by a final score of 7-2, taking a 2-0 series lead.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown afterward. The final moments of this one could’ve gotten a whole lot uglier, although most of the mayhem ended when Richards was penalized for his spear on Couture.
But this isn’t the first such incident of this kind in these playoffs. Boston Bruins’ forward Milan Lucic speared Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser in Game 1 of that series. It earned Lucic a $5,000 fine.
So, given the previous case studies so far, will Richards be in line for further discipline such as a fine? Or will he get off with just a warning?
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)