Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Frustration appeared to get the better of L.A. Kings’ forward Mike Richards toward the end of Sunday’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Richards was assessed a double-minor for spearing Logan Couture behind the play with just over five minutes remaining in the third period of Game 2, which the host San Jose Sharks won decisively by a final score of 7-2, taking a 2-0 series lead.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown afterward. The final moments of this one could’ve gotten a whole lot uglier, although most of the mayhem ended when Richards was penalized for his spear on Couture.
But this isn’t the first such incident of this kind in these playoffs. Boston Bruins’ forward Milan Lucic speared Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser in Game 1 of that series. It earned Lucic a $5,000 fine.
So, given the previous case studies so far, will Richards be in line for further discipline such as a fine? Or will he get off with just a warning?
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)