Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Frustration appeared to get the better of L.A. Kings’ forward Mike Richards toward the end of Sunday’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Richards was assessed a double-minor for spearing Logan Couture behind the play with just over five minutes remaining in the third period of Game 2, which the host San Jose Sharks won decisively by a final score of 7-2, taking a 2-0 series lead.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown afterward. The final moments of this one could’ve gotten a whole lot uglier, although most of the mayhem ended when Richards was penalized for his spear on Couture.
But this isn’t the first such incident of this kind in these playoffs. Boston Bruins’ forward Milan Lucic speared Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser in Game 1 of that series. It earned Lucic a $5,000 fine.
So, given the previous case studies so far, will Richards be in line for further discipline such as a fine? Or will he get off with just a warning?
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)