Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will be without their No. 1 goalie for the third straight playoff game on Tuesday, as Steve Mason won’t dress against the Rangers.
Mason, still dealing with the effects of a collision against Pittsburgh 10 days ago, will watch from the press box as Ray Emery gets the nod in Game 3. Emery was solid in Sunday’s 4-2 win over the Blueshirts, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
Mason has taken to the ice on occasion throughout the last week and was back on again today, but told CSN Philly he still didn’t feel he was where he needed to be.
At this stage of the game, though, one has to wonder if Mason would jump right back into the starter’s role even when healthy — he’s only played once since Apr. 8 (the aforementioned game against Pittsburgh) and Emery does have a serious advantage in terms of postseason experience. The 31-year-old backstopped Ottawa to the ’07 Cup Final and was Anaheim’s starter in a six-game loss to Nashville during the opening round of the 2011 playoffs.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)