Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers will be without their No. 1 goalie for the third straight playoff game on Tuesday, as Steve Mason won’t dress against the Rangers.
Mason, still dealing with the effects of a collision against Pittsburgh 10 days ago, will watch from the press box as Ray Emery gets the nod in Game 3. Emery was solid in Sunday’s 4-2 win over the Blueshirts, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
Mason has taken to the ice on occasion throughout the last week and was back on again today, but told CSN Philly he still didn’t feel he was where he needed to be.
At this stage of the game, though, one has to wonder if Mason would jump right back into the starter’s role even when healthy — he’s only played once since Apr. 8 (the aforementioned game against Pittsburgh) and Emery does have a serious advantage in terms of postseason experience. The 31-year-old backstopped Ottawa to the ’07 Cup Final and was Anaheim’s starter in a six-game loss to Nashville during the opening round of the 2011 playoffs.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)