Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will be without their No. 1 goalie for the third straight playoff game on Tuesday, as Steve Mason won’t dress against the Rangers.
Mason, still dealing with the effects of a collision against Pittsburgh 10 days ago, will watch from the press box as Ray Emery gets the nod in Game 3. Emery was solid in Sunday’s 4-2 win over the Blueshirts, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
Mason has taken to the ice on occasion throughout the last week and was back on again today, but told CSN Philly he still didn’t feel he was where he needed to be.
At this stage of the game, though, one has to wonder if Mason would jump right back into the starter’s role even when healthy — he’s only played once since Apr. 8 (the aforementioned game against Pittsburgh) and Emery does have a serious advantage in terms of postseason experience. The 31-year-old backstopped Ottawa to the ’07 Cup Final and was Anaheim’s starter in a six-game loss to Nashville during the opening round of the 2011 playoffs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)