Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will be without their No. 1 goalie for the third straight playoff game on Tuesday, as Steve Mason won’t dress against the Rangers.
Mason, still dealing with the effects of a collision against Pittsburgh 10 days ago, will watch from the press box as Ray Emery gets the nod in Game 3. Emery was solid in Sunday’s 4-2 win over the Blueshirts, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
Mason has taken to the ice on occasion throughout the last week and was back on again today, but told CSN Philly he still didn’t feel he was where he needed to be.
At this stage of the game, though, one has to wonder if Mason would jump right back into the starter’s role even when healthy — he’s only played once since Apr. 8 (the aforementioned game against Pittsburgh) and Emery does have a serious advantage in terms of postseason experience. The 31-year-old backstopped Ottawa to the ’07 Cup Final and was Anaheim’s starter in a six-game loss to Nashville during the opening round of the 2011 playoffs.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)