Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will be without their No. 1 goalie for the third straight playoff game on Tuesday, as Steve Mason won’t dress against the Rangers.
Mason, still dealing with the effects of a collision against Pittsburgh 10 days ago, will watch from the press box as Ray Emery gets the nod in Game 3. Emery was solid in Sunday’s 4-2 win over the Blueshirts, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
Mason has taken to the ice on occasion throughout the last week and was back on again today, but told CSN Philly he still didn’t feel he was where he needed to be.
At this stage of the game, though, one has to wonder if Mason would jump right back into the starter’s role even when healthy — he’s only played once since Apr. 8 (the aforementioned game against Pittsburgh) and Emery does have a serious advantage in terms of postseason experience. The 31-year-old backstopped Ottawa to the ’07 Cup Final and was Anaheim’s starter in a six-game loss to Nashville during the opening round of the 2011 playoffs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)