Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks were facing an uphill battle against the St. Louis Blues on Monday. Down 2-0 in the series, the Blackhawks were also without defenseman Brent Seabrook due to a three-game suspension.
But the Blackhawks, the defending Stanley Cup champions, prevailed by a final score of 2-0. The Blues still lead the best-of-seven series 2-1. Jonathan Toews scored the winner all the way back at the 4:10 mark of the opening period. His weak wrist shot from the slot somehow slid through the legs of goalie Ryan Miller, who was otherwise solid, making 22 saves.
This game didn’t have the same fireworks expected after what transpired in St. Louis two days ago, when Seabrook was tossed for his high, late hit on David Backes, who didn’t play because of injury. Further to that, emotions were expected to be even higher because of the alleged taunting toward Backes when he was struggling to his feet after the Seabrook hit.
Corey Crawford stopped all 34 shots he faced. It’s his third Stanley Cup playoff shutout of his career.
The Blackhawks had their chances to increase the lead, particularly in the second period when the Blues took four consecutive minor penalties, including this Maxim Lapierre hit-from-behind on Sheldon Brookbank. However, Chicago went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)