Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks were facing an uphill battle against the St. Louis Blues on Monday. Down 2-0 in the series, the Blackhawks were also without defenseman Brent Seabrook due to a three-game suspension.
But the Blackhawks, the defending Stanley Cup champions, prevailed by a final score of 2-0. The Blues still lead the best-of-seven series 2-1. Jonathan Toews scored the winner all the way back at the 4:10 mark of the opening period. His weak wrist shot from the slot somehow slid through the legs of goalie Ryan Miller, who was otherwise solid, making 22 saves.
This game didn’t have the same fireworks expected after what transpired in St. Louis two days ago, when Seabrook was tossed for his high, late hit on David Backes, who didn’t play because of injury. Further to that, emotions were expected to be even higher because of the alleged taunting toward Backes when he was struggling to his feet after the Seabrook hit.
Corey Crawford stopped all 34 shots he faced. It’s his third Stanley Cup playoff shutout of his career.
The Blackhawks had their chances to increase the lead, particularly in the second period when the Blues took four consecutive minor penalties, including this Maxim Lapierre hit-from-behind on Sheldon Brookbank. However, Chicago went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)