Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
If the NHL’s supplementary discipline decisions regarding spearing to … precious areas in the early going of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are any indication, a cup/athletic supporter is becoming a mandatory piece of equipment.
(Some athletes tend to forego that option for the sake of comfort and mobility, believe it or not.)
Earlier on Saturday, the leagued fined (but didn’t suspend) Boston Bruins power forward Milan Lucic for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser. If a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman is correct, Anaheim Ducks star Corey Perry won’t even get a lighter wallet for his spearing infraction on Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn.
Are the two infractions truly different? Feel free to break them down side-by-side:
Perry, 28, received a four-game suspension in March 2013 and another four-game mark way back in January 2009.
The Ducks have a 2-0 series lead over the Stars as the series shifts back to Dallas for Game 3 on Monday.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54