Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
If the NHL’s supplementary discipline decisions regarding spearing to … precious areas in the early going of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are any indication, a cup/athletic supporter is becoming a mandatory piece of equipment.
(Some athletes tend to forego that option for the sake of comfort and mobility, believe it or not.)
Earlier on Saturday, the leagued fined (but didn’t suspend) Boston Bruins power forward Milan Lucic for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser. If a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman is correct, Anaheim Ducks star Corey Perry won’t even get a lighter wallet for his spearing infraction on Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn.
Are the two infractions truly different? Feel free to break them down side-by-side:
Perry, 28, received a four-game suspension in March 2013 and another four-game mark way back in January 2009.
The Ducks have a 2-0 series lead over the Stars as the series shifts back to Dallas for Game 3 on Monday.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)