Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
If the NHL’s supplementary discipline decisions regarding spearing to … precious areas in the early going of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are any indication, a cup/athletic supporter is becoming a mandatory piece of equipment.
(Some athletes tend to forego that option for the sake of comfort and mobility, believe it or not.)
Earlier on Saturday, the leagued fined (but didn’t suspend) Boston Bruins power forward Milan Lucic for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser. If a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman is correct, Anaheim Ducks star Corey Perry won’t even get a lighter wallet for his spearing infraction on Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn.
Are the two infractions truly different? Feel free to break them down side-by-side:
Perry, 28, received a four-game suspension in March 2013 and another four-game mark way back in January 2009.
The Ducks have a 2-0 series lead over the Stars as the series shifts back to Dallas for Game 3 on Monday.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)