Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
If the NHL’s supplementary discipline decisions regarding spearing to … precious areas in the early going of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are any indication, a cup/athletic supporter is becoming a mandatory piece of equipment.
(Some athletes tend to forego that option for the sake of comfort and mobility, believe it or not.)
Earlier on Saturday, the leagued fined (but didn’t suspend) Boston Bruins power forward Milan Lucic for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser. If a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman is correct, Anaheim Ducks star Corey Perry won’t even get a lighter wallet for his spearing infraction on Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn.
Are the two infractions truly different? Feel free to break them down side-by-side:
Perry, 28, received a four-game suspension in March 2013 and another four-game mark way back in January 2009.
The Ducks have a 2-0 series lead over the Stars as the series shifts back to Dallas for Game 3 on Monday.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5