Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
If the NHL’s supplementary discipline decisions regarding spearing to … precious areas in the early going of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are any indication, a cup/athletic supporter is becoming a mandatory piece of equipment.
(Some athletes tend to forego that option for the sake of comfort and mobility, believe it or not.)
Earlier on Saturday, the leagued fined (but didn’t suspend) Boston Bruins power forward Milan Lucic for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser. If a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman is correct, Anaheim Ducks star Corey Perry won’t even get a lighter wallet for his spearing infraction on Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn.
Are the two infractions truly different? Feel free to break them down side-by-side:
Perry, 28, received a four-game suspension in March 2013 and another four-game mark way back in January 2009.
The Ducks have a 2-0 series lead over the Stars as the series shifts back to Dallas for Game 3 on Monday.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 13
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)