Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
As expected, there aren’t many specifics regarding the condition of St. Louis Blues captain David Backes, particularly if he’ll be able to play in Game 3. Even so, Blues head coach Ken Hitchock’s vague update probably says a lot:
Other than that, Hitchcock was careful to avoid the kind of comments that might draw a fine.
While it might slip under the radar thanks to the higher profile hit by Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook, Hitchcock also expressed concern about Vladimir Sobotka‘s knee after a collision with ‘Hawks forward Bryan Bickell.
Seabrook defended the check he delivered, but Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville avoided making a comment; he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he hasn’t had time to analyze the hit just yet.
Not surprisingly, Blues such as Alex Pietrangelo expressed their displeasure in ways that their coach could not.
However both teams – not to mention the league – feel about that blow on Backes, NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports that it was a motivational moment for the Blues.
“As soon as that hit happened, we’re like, ‘We’re winning this for him,'” Chris Porter said.
It remains to be seen if Backes will be healthy enough and if Seabrook will be suspended through Game 3, which takes on Monday in Chicago.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)