Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Remember when people were worried that Corey Crawford – particularly his supposedly faulty glove hand – was going to submarine the Chicago Blackhawks’ championship hopes last year? That narrative died down as he was often strong in wrapping up a Stanley Cup victory in 2012-13, yet he’s the one criticizing himself after two straight heartbreaking losses to the St. Louis Blues.
Crawford was particularly self-critical when discussing the goal that sent Game 2 into overtime, as he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“I have to find a way to make that save and our guys need me to make a save at the end,” Crawford said. “That’s pretty much not acceptable. We’re not going to win if I play like that. I have to be better.”
Here’s the Vladimir Tarasenko goal that left Crawford soul searching:
It might not be the only rough moment for Crawford, 29, as Kevin Shattenkirk was surprisingly candid about the Blackhawks netminder being “way out of position” on this buzzer-beater:
That’s two goals in the last 10 seconds of periods in Game 2. To get back in this series, Chicago needs to protect late leads and Crawford needs to start making those big stops.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)