Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Remember when people were worried that Corey Crawford – particularly his supposedly faulty glove hand – was going to submarine the Chicago Blackhawks’ championship hopes last year? That narrative died down as he was often strong in wrapping up a Stanley Cup victory in 2012-13, yet he’s the one criticizing himself after two straight heartbreaking losses to the St. Louis Blues.
Crawford was particularly self-critical when discussing the goal that sent Game 2 into overtime, as he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“I have to find a way to make that save and our guys need me to make a save at the end,” Crawford said. “That’s pretty much not acceptable. We’re not going to win if I play like that. I have to be better.”
Here’s the Vladimir Tarasenko goal that left Crawford soul searching:
It might not be the only rough moment for Crawford, 29, as Kevin Shattenkirk was surprisingly candid about the Blackhawks netminder being “way out of position” on this buzzer-beater:
That’s two goals in the last 10 seconds of periods in Game 2. To get back in this series, Chicago needs to protect late leads and Crawford needs to start making those big stops.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)