Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Remember when people were worried that Corey Crawford – particularly his supposedly faulty glove hand – was going to submarine the Chicago Blackhawks’ championship hopes last year? That narrative died down as he was often strong in wrapping up a Stanley Cup victory in 2012-13, yet he’s the one criticizing himself after two straight heartbreaking losses to the St. Louis Blues.
Crawford was particularly self-critical when discussing the goal that sent Game 2 into overtime, as he told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“I have to find a way to make that save and our guys need me to make a save at the end,” Crawford said. “That’s pretty much not acceptable. We’re not going to win if I play like that. I have to be better.”
Here’s the Vladimir Tarasenko goal that left Crawford soul searching:
It might not be the only rough moment for Crawford, 29, as Kevin Shattenkirk was surprisingly candid about the Blackhawks netminder being “way out of position” on this buzzer-beater:
That’s two goals in the last 10 seconds of periods in Game 2. To get back in this series, Chicago needs to protect late leads and Crawford needs to start making those big stops.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)