Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
Rookie forward Nathan MacKinnon didn’t wilt under the pressure of making his postseason debut. The 18-year-old forward had three assists to help Colorado earn a 5-4 overtime win over Minnesota on Thursday.
His efforts didn’t go unnoticed by Wild coach Mike Yeo, who wants to see his team make an adjustment when playing against MacKinnon in Game 2 on Saturday.
“We didn’t make things hard enough on (MacKinnon) physically last night,” Yeo said, per the team’s Twitter account.
Minnesota had a 4-2 lead going into the third period, but the silver lining for them is that splitting the first two games would put them in a great position, given that the series opened in Colorado.
The Avalanche went from the Western Conference basement to the Central Division title in the span of just one season and vastly exceeded almost everyone’s preseason expectations in the process. This campaign will be seen as a success for them no matter what happens next, but they would certainly like to cement their rise by going on a lengthy playoff run.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)