Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks were ready to go. The L.A. Kings, well, not so much.
The Kings fell behind by five goals by the end of the second period, spelling the end to the evening for goalie Jonathan Quick, and resulting in a 6-3 loss. The Sharks lead the best-of-seven first-round series 1-0. If it’s any consolation, the Kings did outhit the Sharks 69-52. So, there’s that.
“When you’re sloppy against a team like that, and they’re good on the forecheck and can cause turnovers when you’re not sharp, they’re going to get a lot of chances. It could have been a lot more. Quickie made some big saves.”
Oh, the play of the Kings goalie.
His game lasted 40 minutes. It wasn’t until the third period began that the team in front of him finally managed to get back into the game, scoring three times to cut San Jose’s lead to 5-3 at one point.
Earlier in the first period, San Jose forward Mike Brown sent Kings’ defenseman Slava Voynov into Quick, resulting in a scrum behind the net. Not the most polite way to welcome the L.A. netminder to the series.
But head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t seem too pleased with the play of Quick, who allowed five goals on 28 shots. On the play of his goalie, Sutter turned his answer to the decision to pull Quick.
“I think I could’ve made the decision earlier,” said Sutter.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)