Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks were ready to go. The L.A. Kings, well, not so much.
The Kings fell behind by five goals by the end of the second period, spelling the end to the evening for goalie Jonathan Quick, and resulting in a 6-3 loss. The Sharks lead the best-of-seven first-round series 1-0. If it’s any consolation, the Kings did outhit the Sharks 69-52. So, there’s that.
“When you’re sloppy against a team like that, and they’re good on the forecheck and can cause turnovers when you’re not sharp, they’re going to get a lot of chances. It could have been a lot more. Quickie made some big saves.”
Oh, the play of the Kings goalie.
His game lasted 40 minutes. It wasn’t until the third period began that the team in front of him finally managed to get back into the game, scoring three times to cut San Jose’s lead to 5-3 at one point.
Earlier in the first period, San Jose forward Mike Brown sent Kings’ defenseman Slava Voynov into Quick, resulting in a scrum behind the net. Not the most polite way to welcome the L.A. netminder to the series.
But head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t seem too pleased with the play of Quick, who allowed five goals on 28 shots. On the play of his goalie, Sutter turned his answer to the decision to pull Quick.
“I think I could’ve made the decision earlier,” said Sutter.
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 59
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 58
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 164
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)