Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EST
It’s been said the Red Wings aren’t your typical low-seed team, and they showed it tonight by squeaking past the Presidents’ Trophy-winning Boston Bruins 1-0 to take Game 1 of the opening-round series.
Jimmy Howard stopped 25 shots to earn his third career playoff shutout, but goaltender Tuukka Rask was also very effective tonight. The netminders kept this game scoreless for most of the contest by making some remarkable saves along the way, Rask finishing with 23 saves on 24 shots.
As the score indicates, tonight’s game was a tightly-contested and hard-checking affair. It wasn’t until 16:59 of the third period that Pavel Datsyuk managed to finally best Rask on a play that was made possible thanks to some beautiful stick work:
The goal impressed one of Datsyuk’s counterparts, as Logan Couture tweeted his admiration:
Mr. @Datsyuk13 you are filthy. That’s all
— Logan Couture (@Logancouture) April 19, 2014
As for the big picture, Detroit scored a huge opening blow by taking a one game to none series lead and swiping home-ice advantage in the process. There’s still plenty of hockey left to be played and Boston is far from done, but Detroit has proven once again that it can’t be overlooked.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32