Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
It’s been said the Red Wings aren’t your typical low-seed team, and they showed it tonight by squeaking past the Presidents’ Trophy-winning Boston Bruins 1-0 to take Game 1 of the opening-round series.
Jimmy Howard stopped 25 shots to earn his third career playoff shutout, but goaltender Tuukka Rask was also very effective tonight. The netminders kept this game scoreless for most of the contest by making some remarkable saves along the way, Rask finishing with 23 saves on 24 shots.
As the score indicates, tonight’s game was a tightly-contested and hard-checking affair. It wasn’t until 16:59 of the third period that Pavel Datsyuk managed to finally best Rask on a play that was made possible thanks to some beautiful stick work:
The goal impressed one of Datsyuk’s counterparts, as Logan Couture tweeted his admiration:
Mr. @Datsyuk13 you are filthy. That’s all
— Logan Couture (@Logancouture) April 19, 2014
As for the big picture, Detroit scored a huge opening blow by taking a one game to none series lead and swiping home-ice advantage in the process. There’s still plenty of hockey left to be played and Boston is far from done, but Detroit has proven once again that it can’t be overlooked.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5