Apr 18, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Anaheim will be without one of its most productive Game 1 forwards tonight when it hosts the Stars at the Honda Center.
Matt Beleskey, who notched two points and scored the game-winning goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 win, is out with a lower-body injury, the Ducks announced. His departure paves the way for Devante Smith-Pelley to make his NHL playoff debut.
“The three games he’s played for us have been very good,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau said of Smith-Pelley, who played mostly in November before getting recalled in April to dress three times. “He’s been a difference maker in the last two games.”
Smith-Pelley, 21, appeared in 19 games for Anaheim this season, scoring 10 points. He’s an effective young forward with some size — 6-foot, 225 pounds — but will need to provide quite the presence to make up for Beleskey, who was playing very well of late.
Beleskey closed the year scoring five points in his last six regular season games; he also posted a career-high 24 points this year, despite appearing in just 55 contests.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)