Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
In the back of his mind, Ray Emery knew there was a chance he would be in net for the playoffs.
Those suspicions were confirmed Wednesday, when Flyers coach Craig Berube announced that Steve Mason will miss Game 1 of the Flyers’ divisional semifinal series against the New York Rangers Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
Emery will get the start in goal.
Berube wouldn’t go into detail about what was wrong with Mason (injured Saturday versus Pittsburgh), saying only, “He’s out.”
So the job, for Game 1 at least, falls to Emery, the 31-year-old backup who finished the regular season with a 9-12-2 record and .903 save percentage.
Emery’s last three appearances weren’t fantastic, as he allowed 10 goals on 85 shots, for a save percentage of .882.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)