Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
In the back of his mind, Ray Emery knew there was a chance he would be in net for the playoffs.
Those suspicions were confirmed Wednesday, when Flyers coach Craig Berube announced that Steve Mason will miss Game 1 of the Flyers’ divisional semifinal series against the New York Rangers Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
Emery will get the start in goal.
Berube wouldn’t go into detail about what was wrong with Mason (injured Saturday versus Pittsburgh), saying only, “He’s out.”
So the job, for Game 1 at least, falls to Emery, the 31-year-old backup who finished the regular season with a 9-12-2 record and .903 save percentage.
Emery’s last three appearances weren’t fantastic, as he allowed 10 goals on 85 shots, for a save percentage of .882.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)