Apr 14, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
In what may have been his last public appearance as Vancouver’s head coach, John Tortorella told reporters today that the Canucks’ core needs to change.
“I felt from day one that it’s stale,” said Tortorella. “It needs youth. It needs a change. … We’re not in 2011.”
(You can listen to the audio here.)
Direct as the message may have been delivered, it was no big revelation. In fact, Mike Gillis emphasized the “need to get younger, faster and stronger” well before he was fired last week as president and general manager.
The Canucks’ core is comprised of Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin (33 years old), Alex Burrows (33), Ryan Kesler (29), Kevin Bieksa (32), Dan Hamhuis (31), and Alex Edler (27). Kesler and Edler have been linked to numerous trade scenarios (the former more so than the latter). The Sedins are generally considered untouchables.
As for Tortorella, his future in Vancouver remains uncertain. The consensus is that he’ll be fired as part of new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden’s overhaul, possibly as early as this week.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)