Apr 14, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
In what may have been his last public appearance as Vancouver’s head coach, John Tortorella told reporters today that the Canucks’ core needs to change.
“I felt from day one that it’s stale,” said Tortorella. “It needs youth. It needs a change. … We’re not in 2011.”
(You can listen to the audio here.)
Direct as the message may have been delivered, it was no big revelation. In fact, Mike Gillis emphasized the “need to get younger, faster and stronger” well before he was fired last week as president and general manager.
The Canucks’ core is comprised of Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin (33 years old), Alex Burrows (33), Ryan Kesler (29), Kevin Bieksa (32), Dan Hamhuis (31), and Alex Edler (27). Kesler and Edler have been linked to numerous trade scenarios (the former more so than the latter). The Sedins are generally considered untouchables.
As for Tortorella, his future in Vancouver remains uncertain. The consensus is that he’ll be fired as part of new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden’s overhaul, possibly as early as this week.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)