Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:
Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.
The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.
“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.
“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”
Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:
“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.
“It was scary.”
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) April 14, 2014
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)