Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EST
Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:
Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.
The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.
“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.
“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”
Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:
“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.
“It was scary.”
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) April 14, 2014
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 0
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23