Apr 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Here’s the incident in question, from two separate angles:
Byron was assessed a five-minute penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play, while Sedin was stretchered off the ice and sent to local hospital for evaluation. Sedin’s agent, J.P. Barry, said his client was released last night and spent the evening at home with his family.
The hit and subsequent decision to not suspend Byron aren’t the only contentious issues at hand. Following last night’s game, Canucks head coach John Tortorella went off at Flames bench boss Bob Hartley — the same guy Tortorella tried to attack in January — claiming that Hartley showed Sedin a lack of respect.
“It’s been a rough year, but it’s embarrassing to coach against the guy across from me tonight. Some of the things that went on when Danny was hurt, it’s embarrassing,” Tortorella said, alluding to reports that Hartley was yelling at Henrik Sedin and the officiating crew while Daniel was laying on the ice.
“It just pisses me off,” Tortorella continued. “I just don’t like the disrespect with players. It aggravates me. I am not going to go any further. I don’t like the way he does business. I don’t like him, and eventually I guess why I am talking about it in this way is because I need to protect my players and a lot of people don’t understand that, so I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know why I opened it up.”
Update: Sedin attended Vancouver’s end-of-year media availability on Monday and updated his health:
“I was scared because I felt something wasn’t right,” Sedin explained. “I hit my head into the glass and fell down, and I tried to move my head but I couldn’t get it off the ice.
“It was scary.”
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) April 14, 2014
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)