Apr 11, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Martin Brodeur may have played his final game with the New Jersey Devils. If that’s the case, what a career it’s been for the 41-year-old goaltender who is surely on his way to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
But, if this is the case, there wasn’t that one final victory in the script. The Devils lost 3-2 in a shootout to the New York Islanders on Friday. The Islanders scored on all three of their attempts in the skills competition.
The highlight clip below is a little vintage Brodeur, as he flashed the leather on Colin McDonald with the score tied 2-2 in the third period.
Brodeur, with 687 career regular season wins, all with the Devils, is in the final year of a two-year contract with New Jersey. However, the acquisition of Cory Schneider from Vancouver last June has altered the goaltending dynamics with the Devils.
Schneider emerged as a starter in Vancouver before last year’s trade, and at the age of 28, has proven more than capable to resume that role, even with Brodeur, a three-time Stanley Cup champion and arguably the best goalie to ever play the game, still trying to cling to the No. 1 spot.
But sitting on the bench while Schneider emerged as the starter didn’t jive with Brodeur. And now he’ll have a decision to make about his future. It seems he still believes he can play.
“The situation I’m going to get myself in is something I’m going to be okay with. So if you see me here next year, it’s because I’m okay to be sharing the net or doing whatever I’m told,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger on Thursday.
“But I’m not going to go through what I’ve done, thinking you’re still No. 1 and the next thing you know (you’re sitting).”
Meanwhile, the Devils’ ineptitude in the shootout continues. They’ve lost 13 times in a row this season in the skills competition.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (71)