Apr 10, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
Broadly speaking, the Phoenix Coyotes share at least a few traits in common with the Nashville Predators. The Coyotes’ scrappy cousins thwarted them on Thursday to the tune of a 2-0 loss, greatly damaging Phoenix’s chances of making the playoffs in the process.
Before this post gets a little more specific, here’s the “outside help” the Coyotes need in plain terms:
To lay the specifics out more precisely, here is where the two teams stand:
Dallas: 89 standings points; two games left (vs. St. Louis on Friday; at Phoenix on Sunday); Dallas has an insurmountable tiebreaker advantage, so Phoenix must finish with at least one more standings point.
Phoenix: 87 standings points; two games left (vs. San Jose on Saturday; vs. Dallas on Sunday).
However you spin this situation, the Coyotes failed down the stretch. They’ve lost six games in a row, although they manage to scavenge three standings points from OT (one loss) and shootout (two losses) defeats.
It’s been a strange stretch of outside help for both teams. The Stars beat the Predators in a shootout but lost in regulation to Columbus while the Coyotes dropped tonight’s regulation contest against Nashville after beating Columbus.
Some might say it would be fairest if Sunday’s season finale in Phoenix decides it all, but the Coyotes have to do something uncomfortable – root for the Blues, for one – to make that happen.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)