Apr 6, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo scored his second goal of the season against the Buffalo Sabres tonight, but he also encountered something he’s a lot more familiar with: penalty trouble.
Rinaldo collected three minor penalties through two periods before things escalated early in the third. With his team up 4-0, Rinaldo launched a head shot against Chad Ruhwedel as the Sabres defenseman was in a shooting motion.
You can see the incident below:
Rinaldo was given a intent-to-injure match penalty, so this hit will be reviewed by the NHL. With just four games left in the Flyers schedule, it is feasible that his potential suspension will last the remainder of the regular season.
Update: Ruhwedel has a concussion, per the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. That’s both terrible news for the 23-year-old rookie defenseman and something the NHL will take into consideration when determining additional discipline might be warranted.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)