Apr 6, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo scored his second goal of the season against the Buffalo Sabres tonight, but he also encountered something he’s a lot more familiar with: penalty trouble.
Rinaldo collected three minor penalties through two periods before things escalated early in the third. With his team up 4-0, Rinaldo launched a head shot against Chad Ruhwedel as the Sabres defenseman was in a shooting motion.
You can see the incident below:
Rinaldo was given a intent-to-injure match penalty, so this hit will be reviewed by the NHL. With just four games left in the Flyers schedule, it is feasible that his potential suspension will last the remainder of the regular season.
Update: Ruhwedel has a concussion, per the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. That’s both terrible news for the 23-year-old rookie defenseman and something the NHL will take into consideration when determining additional discipline might be warranted.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)