Apr 6, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo scored his second goal of the season against the Buffalo Sabres tonight, but he also encountered something he’s a lot more familiar with: penalty trouble.
Rinaldo collected three minor penalties through two periods before things escalated early in the third. With his team up 4-0, Rinaldo launched a head shot against Chad Ruhwedel as the Sabres defenseman was in a shooting motion.
You can see the incident below:
Rinaldo was given a intent-to-injure match penalty, so this hit will be reviewed by the NHL. With just four games left in the Flyers schedule, it is feasible that his potential suspension will last the remainder of the regular season.
Update: Ruhwedel has a concussion, per the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. That’s both terrible news for the 23-year-old rookie defenseman and something the NHL will take into consideration when determining additional discipline might be warranted.
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 0
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 12
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14