Apr 6, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo scored his second goal of the season against the Buffalo Sabres tonight, but he also encountered something he’s a lot more familiar with: penalty trouble.
Rinaldo collected three minor penalties through two periods before things escalated early in the third. With his team up 4-0, Rinaldo launched a head shot against Chad Ruhwedel as the Sabres defenseman was in a shooting motion.
You can see the incident below:
Rinaldo was given a intent-to-injure match penalty, so this hit will be reviewed by the NHL. With just four games left in the Flyers schedule, it is feasible that his potential suspension will last the remainder of the regular season.
Update: Ruhwedel has a concussion, per the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. That’s both terrible news for the 23-year-old rookie defenseman and something the NHL will take into consideration when determining additional discipline might be warranted.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)