Apr 6, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo scored his second goal of the season against the Buffalo Sabres tonight, but he also encountered something he’s a lot more familiar with: penalty trouble.
Rinaldo collected three minor penalties through two periods before things escalated early in the third. With his team up 4-0, Rinaldo launched a head shot against Chad Ruhwedel as the Sabres defenseman was in a shooting motion.
You can see the incident below:
Rinaldo was given a intent-to-injure match penalty, so this hit will be reviewed by the NHL. With just four games left in the Flyers schedule, it is feasible that his potential suspension will last the remainder of the regular season.
Update: Ruhwedel has a concussion, per the Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington. That’s both terrible news for the 23-year-old rookie defenseman and something the NHL will take into consideration when determining additional discipline might be warranted.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)