Apr 6, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Suddenly the New Jersey Devils are right in the thick of the wild card race in the Eastern Conference.
After a 3-1 win Saturday against the Carolina Hurricanes, the Devils are one point behind the Columbus Blue Jackets for the second wild card spot and three points behind the Philadelphia Flyers for third in the Metropolitan Division.
“We’ve been so close to these kind of wins all throughout the year and just somehow haven’t racked them up in a row, but if you’re going to go on a run these are the kind of ones you need to grind out and we’ve been doing that the last couple of games,” Schneider said.
The Devils final four games provide a challenge and more opportunities to need to grind out wins. They host the Calgary Flames on Monday then play a back-to-back set on Thursday and Friday in Ottawa against the Senators and then back home against the New York Islanders. They close out the season next Sunday at home against the East’s top team, Boston.
It’s a tough road for New Jersey, but if there’s anything we know about them it’s that they don’t go away very easily.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)