Apr 6, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils still has a legitimate chance to make the playoffs and that’s pretty impressive given how long they’ve been on the ropes.
It’s been an up-and-down campaign and you could get an accurate idea of what was happening at any given time based on Jaromir Jagr‘s quotes alone. He’s been upfront about his feelings on how the team is doing throughout the campaign.
We’ve seen both extremes of that lately with him blasting the team’s preseason-quality effort in a 6-3 victory on Monday to talking about how proud he was of them after edging out Washington on Friday.
He argues that the one constant is that he never lost faith that the team would make the playoffs.
“I’ve believed since day one,” Jagr insisted, per the Star-Ledger.
He’s not alone in that belief. The Devils have stayed focused on competing despite the long odds that they’ve faced for a while now. They’ve managed to claw their way back from a 9.39% chance of making the playoffs following a loss to the New York Rangers on March 22, per the Sports Club Stats. They’ve been beaten in shootouts a few times since that defeat, but never in regulation.
New Jersey won’t play tonight, but Columbus is set to face the New York Islanders. If the Blue Jackets lose in regulation, then the Devils will be just one point back with four games left in both teams’ schedules.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)