Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
For about a tenth of Friday’s contest, the Ottawa Senators were spectacular. However, a fast 3-0 lead proved insufficient in their eventual 7-4 collapse against Montreal.
At the start of Senators coach Paul MacLean’s postgame press conference, he was asked about his feelings regarding tonight’s game. He let the question hang for a second.
“I have none,” MacLean said. “I’m numb.”
As he put it, the Senators simply stopped playing after they got the 3-0 lead. He started to elaborate, but seemed to give up mid-sentence by suggesting that they starting giving the Canadiens “short rinks and all the…regular adjectives that we’ve used all year long.”
MacLean wouldn’t term the game as frustrating and needed a bit of time to find the right word: “Brutal.”
It was nearly a month ago that he complained about the team’s work ethic. This certainly wasn’t what he was looking for.
You can watch his full press conference below, including his argument that a Senators’ disallowed goal and Montreal’s Lars Eller‘s similar goal are an example of how anything that could go wrong, has this season:
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)