Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
For about a tenth of Friday’s contest, the Ottawa Senators were spectacular. However, a fast 3-0 lead proved insufficient in their eventual 7-4 collapse against Montreal.
At the start of Senators coach Paul MacLean’s postgame press conference, he was asked about his feelings regarding tonight’s game. He let the question hang for a second.
“I have none,” MacLean said. “I’m numb.”
As he put it, the Senators simply stopped playing after they got the 3-0 lead. He started to elaborate, but seemed to give up mid-sentence by suggesting that they starting giving the Canadiens “short rinks and all the…regular adjectives that we’ve used all year long.”
MacLean wouldn’t term the game as frustrating and needed a bit of time to find the right word: “Brutal.”
It was nearly a month ago that he complained about the team’s work ethic. This certainly wasn’t what he was looking for.
You can watch his full press conference below, including his argument that a Senators’ disallowed goal and Montreal’s Lars Eller‘s similar goal are an example of how anything that could go wrong, has this season:
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 0
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 17
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)