Apr 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EST
Raffi Torres has missed almost the entire season with a knee injury, but it looks like the San Jose Sharks will get him back when it matters the most.
The gritty and controversial forward participated in Friday’s optional practice and might return as early as Wednesday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
“I think [Anaheim] would be a good first game if we were going to play him,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. “Raffi’s proven earlier that he can come back and play, and play well. … We want him in our lineup and as soon as he’s capable of playing without re-injuring and maintaining that, he’s going in.”
The possibility of him suffering a setback is likely a major concern. The 32-year-old originally returned from a torn ACL on Feb. 27. He got off to a hot start with three goals in his first two games, but he only lasted five contests before he was back on the sidelines.
“The ultimate goal is to have him 100 percent ready to go for playoffs,” McLellan said.
Rookie forward Tomas Hertl also was on the ice Friday as he prepares for a possible return during the playoffs. Getting both of them back would significantly bolster the Sharks depth as they get ready for a probable first round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 40
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 40
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)