Apr 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Raffi Torres has missed almost the entire season with a knee injury, but it looks like the San Jose Sharks will get him back when it matters the most.
The gritty and controversial forward participated in Friday’s optional practice and might return as early as Wednesday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
“I think [Anaheim] would be a good first game if we were going to play him,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. “Raffi’s proven earlier that he can come back and play, and play well. … We want him in our lineup and as soon as he’s capable of playing without re-injuring and maintaining that, he’s going in.”
The possibility of him suffering a setback is likely a major concern. The 32-year-old originally returned from a torn ACL on Feb. 27. He got off to a hot start with three goals in his first two games, but he only lasted five contests before he was back on the sidelines.
“The ultimate goal is to have him 100 percent ready to go for playoffs,” McLellan said.
Rookie forward Tomas Hertl also was on the ice Friday as he prepares for a possible return during the playoffs. Getting both of them back would significantly bolster the Sharks depth as they get ready for a probable first round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)