Apr 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
It was a busy Saturday for the NHL in general and the Eastern Conference bubble race in particular. With a wave of important games ending in succession, it’s probably most convenient to look at the night overall. Here’s a quick rundown of where all the teams sit, beginning with the bubble squads:
- The Detroit Red Wings erased a 3-0 third-period deficit against the Montreal Canadiens, but the Habs responded to that, scoring twice to end the Red Wings’ winning streak at four games. Detroit still seems fairly comfortable in the first wild card spot with 88 points, but another win might have allowed the Red Wings to at least approach the kind of room that would allow them to rest a player or two. They have four games left.
- Life isn’t perfect for the Columbus Blue Jackets on an idle evening, yet they remain in the final wild card spot with 85 standings points and five games left.
- By beating the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1, the New Jersey Devils jumped to the ninth spot in the East. That might be surprising for some, yet the Devils are finding ways to grab points (even when they can’t win a shootout), as the Devils now have a seven-game point streak going (4-0-3). They have 84 points with four games left.
- The biggest letdown of the day might go to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Evander Kane didn’t play and Dustin Byfuglien‘s night was cut short, yet the Winnipeg Jets bested them 4-2. Time is running out for the Buds as they have 84 points and just three games left.
- As noted earlier, the Washington Capitals managed a shootout win, giving them 83 points with four games left.
- Moving to the higher rankings (sorry, Ottawa and Carolina), the Boston Bruins clinched the East’s top seed while the Canadiens now have a four-point lead over the Bolts for the second spot in the Atlantic. The New York Rangers lost in regulation to the Ottawa Senators, yet the Philadelphia Flyers fell to the Boston Bruins before in regulation as well, so New York’s lead for second in the Metropolitan Division remains at four points. The Blue Jackets could overtake Philly, however.
Is that too much for one sitting? Don’t worry, this standings update should help you out:
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)