Apr 5, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to dig deep and gut out a 2-1 win against the Washington Capitals on Friday, even with injuries piling up. They won’t get much time to take a breather, either, as they turn around to a Saturday game against the Carolina Hurricanes with those bumps and bruises forcing lineup changes.
The Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Devils will be without the services of Patrik Elias, Adam Henrique and Jacob Josefson tonight because of injuries suffered during last night’s game against the Capitals.
Head coach Peter DeBoer tried to put a positive spin on the situation while noting that the Devils decided a minor league call-up wouldn’t be worth it.
“Same thing we dealt with last night,” DeBoer said. “The nice thing is we have some fresh legs going into the lineup with Bernier and Gionta and Sestito. In a back-to-back situation that’s not a bad thing. Obviously we’re missing some key people but I like the idea we’re getting some fresh legs in.”
Elias, 37, suffered an upper-body injury thanks to this unfortunate break:
Josefson seemed to suffer a leg injury while Henrique’s issue is undisclosed.
The Devils must soldier on anyway, and the Hurricanes – while uneven – present some upset threat. They thwarted the playoff-desperate Dallas Stars 4-1 on Thursday, for one.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22