Apr 5, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to dig deep and gut out a 2-1 win against the Washington Capitals on Friday, even with injuries piling up. They won’t get much time to take a breather, either, as they turn around to a Saturday game against the Carolina Hurricanes with those bumps and bruises forcing lineup changes.
The Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Devils will be without the services of Patrik Elias, Adam Henrique and Jacob Josefson tonight because of injuries suffered during last night’s game against the Capitals.
Head coach Peter DeBoer tried to put a positive spin on the situation while noting that the Devils decided a minor league call-up wouldn’t be worth it.
“Same thing we dealt with last night,” DeBoer said. “The nice thing is we have some fresh legs going into the lineup with Bernier and Gionta and Sestito. In a back-to-back situation that’s not a bad thing. Obviously we’re missing some key people but I like the idea we’re getting some fresh legs in.”
Elias, 37, suffered an upper-body injury thanks to this unfortunate break:
Josefson seemed to suffer a leg injury while Henrique’s issue is undisclosed.
The Devils must soldier on anyway, and the Hurricanes – while uneven – present some upset threat. They thwarted the playoff-desperate Dallas Stars 4-1 on Thursday, for one.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)