Apr 5, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers managed to find the back of the net this afternoon, which is more than they could say about some of their recent losses, but it wasn’t enough to reverse their fortunes.
Although they were evenly matched with the Bruins for most of the contest, Boston’s Johnny Boychuk and Milan Lucic scored just 31 seconds apart late in the third period to hand the Bruins a 5-2 victory.
Forward David Krejci got the Bruins on the board first in the first period. Wayne Simmonds even things 14:36 minutes into the second period, giving Philadelphia its first goal in 165:01 minutes, per the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli.
Loui Eriksson also had a big game with a season-high four assists. The Bruins needed their top players to click today after it was determined that Jarome Iginla would miss the game due to a lower-body injury.
With this victory, Boston has guaranteed it will finish the 2013-14 campaign with the best record in the Eastern Conference. Meanwhile, Philadelphia’s hold on the third seed in the Metropolitan Division is vulnerable. It is entirely possible that the Flyers will slip to the second Wild Card spot, which would trigger a first round series between these two teams.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)