Apr 5, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers managed to find the back of the net this afternoon, which is more than they could say about some of their recent losses, but it wasn’t enough to reverse their fortunes.
Although they were evenly matched with the Bruins for most of the contest, Boston’s Johnny Boychuk and Milan Lucic scored just 31 seconds apart late in the third period to hand the Bruins a 5-2 victory.
Forward David Krejci got the Bruins on the board first in the first period. Wayne Simmonds even things 14:36 minutes into the second period, giving Philadelphia its first goal in 165:01 minutes, per the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli.
Loui Eriksson also had a big game with a season-high four assists. The Bruins needed their top players to click today after it was determined that Jarome Iginla would miss the game due to a lower-body injury.
With this victory, Boston has guaranteed it will finish the 2013-14 campaign with the best record in the Eastern Conference. Meanwhile, Philadelphia’s hold on the third seed in the Metropolitan Division is vulnerable. It is entirely possible that the Flyers will slip to the second Wild Card spot, which would trigger a first round series between these two teams.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)