Apr 4, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets are no longer in the Central Division with the Chicago Blackhawks, yet their former divisional and conference foes continue to torment them when they can.
Far more was on the line for Columbus on Friday, yet Chicago won its 13th consecutive game against the Blue Jackets, and they did so in dramatic (and heartbreaking) fashion.
With about four seconds left, Ben Smith scored the game-winner, denying the Blue Jackets at least one standings point on Friday:
The Blue Jackets still hold the second Eastern wild card spot, but their grip seems a little looser now. With 85 points and five games remaining, they still hold a decent lead over the likes of the Toronto Maple Leafs (84 points and four games remaining), New Jersey Devils (82 points, five games left) and Washington Capitals (81 points, five games left), yet that margin doesn’t seem so imposing after this loss.
It remains to be seen if this ends up being the type of loss that might haunt Columbus; one may even say that they’ll need to be as resilient as a rat.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)