Apr 3, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Chances are, the Toronto Maple Leafs have dug a hole that’s too deep from which to escape.
That’s what an eight-game losing streak will do.
Still, a win tonight over the visiting Bruins — and maybe combine it with a Columbus loss in Philadelphia? — and, well, you never know.
“We understand where we’re at and where we need to go, so tonight’s an important building step in that direction,” Leafs forward Nazem Kadri said, per NHL.com. “We’ve got to make sure we come out ready to go.”
That last part may have been cliché, but it’s also true. Toronto was anything but “ready to go” in most of the games during that epic losing streak, which only ended Tuesday with a 3-2 win over Calgary.
Again, it’s highly likely the Leafs have already blown their postseason hopes. Even if they win all five of their remaining games, they could still miss the playoffs. According to Sports Club Stats, if they go 4-1-0 their chances are just 27.6 percent.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle went so far as to create a chart detailing how Toronto can sneak back in:
The biggest threat, in other words, is obviously Columbus, as the Jackets don’t need to be world beaters to stay ahead of Toronto, even if the Leafs play well.
If Columbus goes better than 4-3-0, the Leafs can’t catch them.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 31
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)