Apr 3, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
According to Dave Bolland‘s agent, zero has changed on the contract front with Toronto.
“Nothing is happening right now,” Anton Thun explained, per the Toronto Sun. “We exchanged proposals prior to the Olympics and we were significantly apart.”
Bolland, 27, is in the final of a five-year, $16.8 million deal (with a $3.375 million annual hit) originally signed with Chicago. A pending UFA, his contractual status is one of the most complex heading into the summer given all that’s transpired over the last year — Bolland scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal for the ‘Hawks in June, was dealt to Toronto a short while later, started extremely well for the Leafs (10 points in his first 12 games), then suffered a lacerated Achilles that sidelined him for a whopping 56 games.
So yeah, lots of plot twists.
All of this leaves both Toronto and Bolland in a bit of a muddle. Reports claim Thun’s tabled a proposal that would pay Bolland $5 million annually (or $40 million over seven or eight years), figures the Leafs were reportedly struggling with.
Thun said he hasn’t spoken with the Leafs since early February. That’s key, because the landscape in Toronto has shifted significantly since then — at the time, Bolland’s pending return was pegged by many as a potentially huge boost to a playoff-bound team; instead, he’s been limited in his return (two points in six games, only playing more than 12 minutes once) and Toronto has gone in the tank, now needing help just to make the postseason.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)