Apr 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
In a notice of civil claim filed on March 28 with the B.C. Supreme Court, the man alleges that he was attacked by Kane while heading home from work on Aug. 10, 2013 near the corner of Burrard Street and Barclay Street in Vancouver.
The man claims he suffered a concussion and various injuries to the head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel as a result of the alleged incident.
The man is seeking unspecified damages as well as compensation for past and future health-care costs and legal costs.
According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the accuser — Lev Makievsky — had his claims previously investigated by Vancouver police, who ultimately took no action against Kane.
“We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges,” Constable Brian Montague told the Free Press. “From our perspective, the matter is considered closed.”
Makievsky has since gone the civil route and is now being represented by the Vancouver law firm of Slater Vecchio LLP, which specializes in personal injury claims.
Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, declined to specifically comment on the allegations.
“Evander and us will ensure we do all that we can to ensure that his rights are protected,” said Oster. He said there doesn’t appear to be any prior history or relationship between Kane and the man now suing him.
“This is sort of out of the blue.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)