Apr 3, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“Murray rises up and delivers a forceful blow to Kostka’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” the league’s Department of Player Safety explained. “While we accept Murray’s claim that there was no malicious intent on this hit, he is not successful in making a full bodycheck.”
Here’s the video:
Kostka suffered a concussion on the play, and the player safety department noted that Murray had no history as a repeat offender prior to this hit.
Murray will now miss Montreal’s next three games — against Ottawa, Detroit and Chicago — and will forfeit $23,076.93 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5