Apr 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Bob and Steve
Some compelling storylines tonight in Philadelphia as two young goalies will face their former teams — ex-Flyer Sergei Bobrovsky gets the start for Columbus, while ex-Jacket Steve Mason goes for Philly.
Bobrovsky has been good lately, even though his record doesn’t show it. The Russian ‘tender has only allowed seven goals on his last 91 shots (.923 save percentage) but last lost all three of his last starts, including a 3-2 OT decision to Colorado on Tuesday.
Mason also lost his last start in a shootout — 4-3, to the Bruins — but played very well throughout the month of March, going 8-2-2 with a 2.48 GAA and .917 save percentage.
No Miller for Blues
“It’s fine,” Miller said, per NHL.com. “There will be a lot of time to worry about that later. This year it’s pretty fresh leaving that situation, so maybe it’s just a full break, get [Elliott] in there.
“Hopefully I get to see some of the boys for dinner or see them around the rink, catch up and see how they’re doing.”
Elliott hasn’t played much since the Blues acquired Miller, but has been good in the limited chances he’s received. The veteran is 2-0-0 with a .088 GAA and .964 save percentage since Miller came aboard, and has a good shot at bettering those numbers against Buffalo’s anemic offense.
Bruins at Leafs: Jonathan Bernier for Toronto; no word yet on Boston’s starter.
Rangers at Avs: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado; no word yet on a Rangers starter.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 77
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32