Apr 3, 2014, 11:52 AM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Minnesota Wild starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• Losers of three straight in regulation (all away games), the Blackhawks return home tonight seeking to avoid their second four-game losing streak of the season (0-2-2 from Jan. 22-28). Only three teams in NHL history have had losing streaks of four or more games after March 1 and gone on to win the Stanley Cup: the 1936 Red Wings (0-4-0), the 1986 Canadiens (0-6-0) and the 2011 Bruins (0-2-2).
• The Wild are 3-1-0 vs. the Blackhawks this season. In their only trip to the United Center this season, on Oct. 26, Minnesota defeated Chicago 5-3, thanks in large part to two goals by winger Jason Pominville. Since 2000-01 (the season the Wild entered the NHL), they have the league’s fifth-best regular-season road record against Chicago (13-10-1, .563 points%). Minimum: 10 games played…
Team | Road record at CHI, 2000-present | Points%
1. Detroit, 20-11-7, .618
2. Vancouver, 12-7-5, .604
3. Anaheim, 14-9-3, .596
4. Phoenix, 10-6-7, .587
5. Minnesota, 13-10-1, .563
• The Blackhawks will be without both captain Jonathan Toews (upper body) and winger Patrick Kane (leg) for the rest of the regular season. Tonight’s game will mark only the second time since the stars entered the NHL (2007-08) that they will both be out of the Hawks’ lineup. They were rested in the final game of the 2012-13 season, a 3-1 loss at St. Louis.
• Wild winger Zach Parise needs one point to reach 500 for his NHL career (240 goals, 259 assists). He has been on a tear lately, with four goals in his last three games and five in his last five, for a team-high 28 goals in 61 games this season. The Wild are 18-3-2 when he scores a goal.
• Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa needs nine points in Chicago’s final six games to become the 80th player in NHL history (and seventh active) to register 1,000 points. Of his 461 career goals, 29 are shorthanded, tied for the most among active players (Rangers’ Martin St. Louis).
• Wild captain Mikko Koivu enters tonight’s game on a season-long, six-game point streak (two goals, seven assists) which included three multi-point games (all wins). The Wild are 79-17-9 when their all-time leading scorer (447 points) registers two or more points.
• The Blackhawks rank second in the NHL in goals (243) and goals/game (3.20), trailing Anaheim (245 goals, 3.22 goals/game) in both. Their leading goal-getter, winger Patrick Sharp (31 goals, T-11th in the NHL) has recorded career-highs in assists (42), points (73, T-9th in the NHL) and shots on goal (294, 2nd in the NHL). Since the beginning of the 2012-13 season, the Hawks are 25-2-3 when Sharp scores.
• Wild goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov is 4-0-2 with a 2.16 GAA, .909 save% and one shutout since his acquisition from Edmonton on Mar. 4. However, the “Madhouse on Madison” has been a house of horrors for the 33-year-old Russian netminder since the 2007-08 season. In six starts (all with Phoenix), he is 0-5-1, with a 4.23 GAA and .865 save%. Prior to that, he had won his two starts, with Anaheim.
• Wild head coach Mike Yeo, the youngest bench boss in the NHL (40 years old), picked up career win number 100 vs. Los Angeles on Monday. It took Yeo 206 games to become the second coach in franchise history to reach the milestone. The first, Jacques Lemaire (who won 293 games for Minnesota from 2000-2009), needed 262 games to pick up his first 100 wins with the Wild.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 49
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 50
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)