Apr 3, 2014, 1:17 AM EDT
It was a dominating performance for the L.A. Kings, and one that punches their ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Kings were in full control over the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday, powering ahead to a 4-0 victory against their Pacific Division opponents, who were also looking to jump back into the top-eight teams in the Western Conference.
- Yes, the Coyotes were playing their second game in as many nights, and the Kings are certainly a very good team. But with their playoff hopes hanging in the balance, the Coyotes were never able to generate a push. A single point would’ve pushed them ahead of the Dallas Stars and into the second Wild Card spot in the West. Now the Stars hold the upper hand, and with two games in hand, too.
- The Coyotes had just 17 shots on goal. Yeah, they were shut down almost completely.
- Had to feel for Coyotes goalie Thomas Greiss. He made a huge pad save on Jeff Carter‘s late second-period breakaway to keep it a two-goal game at the time. He also made another stop off Anze Kopitar on a breakaway in the third period. This one could’ve been much worse on the score board if not for Greiss.
- Carter would have his revenge, scoring the Kings’ third goal of the night. Game over.
- Stanley Cup champs in 2012; Western Conference finalists in 2013. The Kings are going back to the post-season and look to be just as formidable as the previous two years. They’ve won seven of their last eight games.
- Jonathan Quick now up to six shutouts on the season. Wasn’t overly busy in this one.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)