Apr 3, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Fighting for their playoff lives, the Dallas Stars were forced to hook starting goalie Kari Lehtonen after a second period implosion against Carolina on Thursday.
The ‘Canes scored three goals in a span of 4:35, building a commanding 3-0 lead and forcing Stars head coach Lindy Ruff to respond by hooking Lehtonen in favor of Tim Thomas.
Dallas began unraveling early in the middle frame, as Carolina captain Eric Staal scored his 19th of the season at the 2:30 mark. Ninety-seven seconds later, Justin Faulk scored on the power play to make it 2-0 and, less than three minutes after that, John-Michael Liles scored his second of the season to end Lehtonen’s night prematurely.
The Finnish netminder wasn’t the only Dallas player to experience a tough second period. Rookie defenseman Patrik Nemeth, playing in just his second NHL contest, took both penalties that Carolina converted — one for hooking, and one for delay of game after flipping the puck over the glass.
It’s worth noting that Dallas did respond to the goalie change, as Tyler Seguin scored his 34th goal of the season just a short while after Thomas entered.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)