Apr 2, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT
When the New York Rangers acquired Martin St. Louis from the Tampa Bay Lightning on March 5, the reigning Art Ross winner had 29 goals. Few expected him to take until April Fools’ Day to collected his 30th goal – and first with the Rangers – while in full health, but that was the case.
Even so, the veteran winger made no mistake about it against the Vancouver Canucks:
That was the 3-1 insurance goal, which ended up being tonight’s final score. St. Louis, 38, now has one goal and three assists in 15 games with his new team.
(The Rangers naturally must hope that St. Louis can shake this off and get back to being an elite scorer, then.)
Burrows hits McDonagh
That check came late in the game, so it’s difficult to tell if McDonagh suffered a major injury (many believe it might be shoulder-related if he is hurt).
Burrows, 32, received a game misconduct and five-minute major for elbowing. He hasn’t been suspended during his NHL career.
It’s quite possible that Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault’s team slammed the door shut on the Canucks’ playoff hopes, though that’s not official. It wasn’t a pure act of spite by any means, however, as the Rangers continue to fight for home-ice advantage in the first round.
As you can see, the Rangers now have a three-point lead against the Philadelphia Flyers (who lost in a shootout to the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday), although Philly holds two games in hand.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 0
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 25
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 57
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (57)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)