Apr 2, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT
When the New York Rangers acquired Martin St. Louis from the Tampa Bay Lightning on March 5, the reigning Art Ross winner had 29 goals. Few expected him to take until April Fools’ Day to collected his 30th goal – and first with the Rangers – while in full health, but that was the case.
Even so, the veteran winger made no mistake about it against the Vancouver Canucks:
That was the 3-1 insurance goal, which ended up being tonight’s final score. St. Louis, 38, now has one goal and three assists in 15 games with his new team.
(The Rangers naturally must hope that St. Louis can shake this off and get back to being an elite scorer, then.)
Burrows hits McDonagh
That check came late in the game, so it’s difficult to tell if McDonagh suffered a major injury (many believe it might be shoulder-related if he is hurt).
Burrows, 32, received a game misconduct and five-minute major for elbowing. He hasn’t been suspended during his NHL career.
It’s quite possible that Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault’s team slammed the door shut on the Canucks’ playoff hopes, though that’s not official. It wasn’t a pure act of spite by any means, however, as the Rangers continue to fight for home-ice advantage in the first round.
As you can see, the Rangers now have a three-point lead against the Philadelphia Flyers (who lost in a shootout to the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday), although Philly holds two games in hand.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)