Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Yesterday, Pavel Datsyuk hinted he might return from a 15-game absence for tonight’s rivalry night game against Boston.
Today, he confirmed he wouldn’t… and, just for good measure, Detroit lost another veteran presence in the process.
Neither Datsyuk nor Daniel Alfredsson will suit up tonight, per the Red Wings. The veteran Swede hasn’t skated for the past two days (which the club called “maintenance days”) and received under 10 minutes of ice time in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Tampa Bay, notching one assist.
Datsyuk, meanwhile, said conditioning was more of an issue as opposed to pain in his knee, which has been bothering him for most of the calendar year and appeared to get worse while he represented Russia at the Winter Olympics.
Without Datsyk and Alfredsson in the lineup, Detroit will once again be forced to juggle things up front. Gustav Nyquist will skate with David Legwand and Johan Franzen on the top line; Tomas Tatar will go with Riley Sheahan and Tomas Jurco on the second; Darren Helm will center Joakim Andersson and Justin Abdelakder on the third while Luke Glendening will go with Drew Miller and Todd Bertuzzi on the fourth.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 4
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)