Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Yesterday, Pavel Datsyuk hinted he might return from a 15-game absence for tonight’s rivalry night game against Boston.
Today, he confirmed he wouldn’t… and, just for good measure, Detroit lost another veteran presence in the process.
Neither Datsyuk nor Daniel Alfredsson will suit up tonight, per the Red Wings. The veteran Swede hasn’t skated for the past two days (which the club called “maintenance days”) and received under 10 minutes of ice time in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Tampa Bay, notching one assist.
Datsyuk, meanwhile, said conditioning was more of an issue as opposed to pain in his knee, which has been bothering him for most of the calendar year and appeared to get worse while he represented Russia at the Winter Olympics.
Without Datsyk and Alfredsson in the lineup, Detroit will once again be forced to juggle things up front. Gustav Nyquist will skate with David Legwand and Johan Franzen on the top line; Tomas Tatar will go with Riley Sheahan and Tomas Jurco on the second; Darren Helm will center Joakim Andersson and Justin Abdelakder on the third while Luke Glendening will go with Drew Miller and Todd Bertuzzi on the fourth.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38