Apr 2, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
We don’t normally write a post every time a third-round draft pick signs an entry-level contract, but it’s kinda slow right now so we’ll make an exception for Maple Leafs prospect Carter Verhaeghe, who did just that today.
Verhaeghe is coming off an 82-point season in 65 games with OHL Niagara. Still only 18 years old, the 6-2, 185-pound center will join AHL Toronto on an amateur tryout agreement for the remainder of the season.
According to Hockey’s Future, Verhaeghe has “blossomed into one of the [OHL’s] best play-making centers.”
Verhaeghe’s 82 points were the 21st most in the league.
Another Leafs prospect, 20-year-old Connor Brown, led the OHL with 128 points while playing with Connor McDavid and the rest of the high-scoring Erie Otters.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)