Apr 2, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
We don’t normally write a post every time a third-round draft pick signs an entry-level contract, but it’s kinda slow right now so we’ll make an exception for Maple Leafs prospect Carter Verhaeghe, who did just that today.
Verhaeghe is coming off an 82-point season in 65 games with OHL Niagara. Still only 18 years old, the 6-2, 185-pound center will join AHL Toronto on an amateur tryout agreement for the remainder of the season.
According to Hockey’s Future, Verhaeghe has “blossomed into one of the [OHL’s] best play-making centers.”
Verhaeghe’s 82 points were the 21st most in the league.
Another Leafs prospect, 20-year-old Connor Brown, led the OHL with 128 points while playing with Connor McDavid and the rest of the high-scoring Erie Otters.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (151)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)