Apr 2, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
We don’t normally write a post every time a third-round draft pick signs an entry-level contract, but it’s kinda slow right now so we’ll make an exception for Maple Leafs prospect Carter Verhaeghe, who did just that today.
Verhaeghe is coming off an 82-point season in 65 games with OHL Niagara. Still only 18 years old, the 6-2, 185-pound center will join AHL Toronto on an amateur tryout agreement for the remainder of the season.
According to Hockey’s Future, Verhaeghe has “blossomed into one of the [OHL’s] best play-making centers.”
Verhaeghe’s 82 points were the 21st most in the league.
Another Leafs prospect, 20-year-old Connor Brown, led the OHL with 128 points while playing with Connor McDavid and the rest of the high-scoring Erie Otters.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)