Apr 2, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
We don’t normally write a post every time a third-round draft pick signs an entry-level contract, but it’s kinda slow right now so we’ll make an exception for Maple Leafs prospect Carter Verhaeghe, who did just that today.
Verhaeghe is coming off an 82-point season in 65 games with OHL Niagara. Still only 18 years old, the 6-2, 185-pound center will join AHL Toronto on an amateur tryout agreement for the remainder of the season.
According to Hockey’s Future, Verhaeghe has “blossomed into one of the [OHL’s] best play-making centers.”
Verhaeghe’s 82 points were the 21st most in the league.
Another Leafs prospect, 20-year-old Connor Brown, led the OHL with 128 points while playing with Connor McDavid and the rest of the high-scoring Erie Otters.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5