Apr 1, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
The Lightning forward earned his second consecutive rookie of the month award on Tuesday, capturing March honors after winning January’s as well (the NHL didn’t give out awards in Feburary, due to the Winter Olympic break.)
Palat, 23, led all rookies with 16 points in 16 games last month, scoring at least one point in nine of the 16 games while racking up a five-game streak from Mar. 8-17. As a result, Palat is now biting at MacKinnon’s heels on a number of statistical leaderboards for first-year players…
MacKinnon: 74 GP, 23 goals, 33 assists, 56 points, plus-20 rating
Palat: 75 GP, 19 goals, 32 assists, 51 points, plus-27 rating
It’s worth noting Palat has a slight edge in average TOI per game (17:59) to MacKinnon’s 17:04.
As for the March award, a number of other rookies were in the running:
— Calgary’ Joe Colborne (6-5—11 in 16 games),
— Anaheim’s Patrick Maroon (3-8—11 in 14 games)
— Florida’s Nick Bjugstad (1-10—11 in 17 games)
— Tampa Bay’s Tyler Johnson (5-5—10 in 16 games).
Previous winners of this season’s rookie of the month award were San Jose’s Tomas Hertl (October), Nashville’s Marek Mazanec (November) and Los Angeles’ Martin Jones/Chicago’s Antti Raanta (December co-winners).
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22