Apr 1, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
For the first time since March 13, the Toronto Maple Leafs won a hockey game (or even grabbed any standings points, for that matter).
The fledgling franchise broke their eight-game losing streak by slipping by the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Tuesday. It probably warms a few hearts (or at least those of Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle) that two offseason acquisitions helped Toronto win, as Dave Bolland scored and David Clarkson collected the game-winner.
(That was Clarkson’s first goal since Feb. 4. Let’s just say it was a night of ended streaks for the Maple Leafs.)
Sure, it was against the scrappy-but-out-of-it Flames, yet the Maple Leafs aren’t likely to complain about finally ending their slump.
The bad news is that the Maple Leafs will need other teams to stumble since they trail and only have five games remaining. The good news is that their competition generally stumbled, at least tonight; the Washington Capitals were trampled by the Dallas Stars while the Columbus Blue Jackets gave up a lead to lose in overtime to the Colorado Avalanche.
Stay tuned for a more detailed look at how the Leafs and the rest of the East’s teams fared on Tuesday, but the general takeaway is that it was a good night for Toronto. For once.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)